The BioGeelong story
The goal of BioGeelong is to strengthen and support the growth of the bio technology industry in Geelong.
The group consists of a collaborating network of people working across the various sectors of the bio sciences. Geelong is full of opportunities that BioGeelong are working to exploit through world-class biotech activities.
The impacts will not just be local- The group places Geelong on the world crosshair as leaders in delivering biotech solutions.
What is Biotechnology?
In a sentence, Biotechnology is the use of biological processes, organisms, or systems to manufacture products intended to improve the quality of human life.
In practice, Biotechnology endeavours are providing unique solutions for human health and consumption in our every day lives. Biotechnology applications are delivering alternative fuels, advances in health research and cure, and have application in food processing, energy sustainability and human safety.
The BioGeelong network places emphisis on:
- Cluster development that will strengthen innovation, productivity and competitive advantage;
- Local industry advocacy that aims to influence government industry initiatives for the benefit of local biotechnology organisations; and
- Industry investment activities including hosting delegations and providing a point of contact for firms wishing to explore partnering/collaboration opportunities with local organisations.
- Broadly promote the Geelong Region's biotechnology capabilities, strengths and opportunities and to celebrate its successes.
- Make available a dynamic networking environment that provides the stimulus for stakeholder collaboration
In May 2005, the following organisations signed a Memorandum of Understanding which established BioGeelong.